The night that David Theune came to visit our class, I wasn't sure what to expect. While we have learned about many technological tools for our use as teachers, I still wasn't quite sure how I could effectively get my students to use it to enhance their learning. It's been difficult for me to keep the internet, blogging, and tech tools like Prezi to be distracting; how in the world could I expect my students to do a better job than me? Then Mr. Theune began to show us about the wonderful ways that he's been able to use technology not only to teach content in his classroom, but to build connections between his students and their communities.
As important as it is for students to be knowledgeable of the academic content of school, it is equally as important for the school environment to provide a place for students to foster positive relationships with each other and with other members of their neighborhoods and those less fortunate. The community service projects that his "kids" have spent time, energy, and their intelligence working to develop have helped them become more compassionate and empathetic human beings. It reminded me that as teachers, it is important for us to be heavily invested in the socialization of our students.
School is not a place for students to go to be filled with academic knowledge like swimming pools are filled with water; it is, in the spirit of Dewey, a place for them to learn how to be positive and productive members of society. We, as teachers, are charged with using the tools available to us to help make this happen. So I want to thank you Mr. Theune for reminding me that my job as a teacher is about more than just filling up empty vessels with academic content, and for showing me how technology can be used to do it.
Hi Jessica!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! You are right on. “Building connections between students and their communities,” that's where it's at. I don't think I had thought about Dave's presentation in exactly those terms. “Fostering positive relationships with each other and with other members of their neighborhoods and those less fortunate.” It's SEL and more. More because this extends beyond the classroom as students, “Become more compassionate and empathetic human beings.” Maybe my tummy hurt the night of Dave Thune's talk. Maybe I was just tired. (Imagine that, a tired MACer!) I remember it, of course. And I've been reading blogs about it since that night since so many of us were obviously impressed. But you I thank for directing my attention back to that Thursday evening in late September (when it was still warm). Thank you for reminding me what is most important. And that technology can TOTALLY be an awesome part of how we “make it happen.”